01 Nov Clean up our Backyard 2019
SEEKING FOUR ARTISTS FOR $10,000 PUBLIC ART COMMISSION
MARS Gallery is calling all artists to submit proposals for a public street art initiative proudly supported by the City of Stonnington Arts and Culture grant 2020. Clean up our Backyard is a not-for-profit initiative launched by MARS Gallery aiming to improve the street art around its home in Windsor, Melbourne Australia to commission four artists to each receive $10,000 to create a public art work. The unveiling of the project will be used to raise money for Skyline Education Foundation Australia, a charity that aims to facilitate education for talented young people who are financially and / or socially challenged. For this reason, we ask artists to present proposals that address concerns facing young people today.
With the commission MARS hopes to:
- Improve the environment of an important shared public space
- Bring people to the area
- Attract tourists and contribute to the local economy
- Encourage shopkeepers to take pride in local public areas
- Create an enduring visual message addressing the issues facing young people across the world today
The chosen artists will also be available for outreach and fundraising events accompanying the project. We hope artists will be able to contribute ideas for engaging the public and raising money for Skyline Education Foundation.
How to apply:
MARS invites artists around the world to submit Expressions of Interest to take over one of four buildings belonging to local businesses. Participating businesses are included in the downloadable pdf document in the link below:
Submission of Expressions of Interest is free. Artists must submit a written proposal by 10 November 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Proposals must include the following:
- An artist statement detailing the ideas of the project, bio and/or CV.
- Project details including intended materials, size and how the project addresses the intensions of the commission (see bullet points above).
- Visual mock-up of their work.
- Examples of previous work (3 – 10 images).
- Indication of a preferred area/ buildings of interest and reason for selection. See Information Pack (PDF document) in the link below.
- Preferred contact details
A panel of judges will select and announce the four successful artists by 22 November 2019.
Each successful artist will receive $10,000 to realise the project and once completed, UV anti-graffiti finish will be applied to ensure the longevity of the works. Painting will commence on Tuesday 10 March 2020 with a maximum of 4 weeks realisation time. MARS will be happy to help artists find accommodation in Melbourne for the duration of the installation.
There will be a launch event and fundraiser for Skyline Education Foundation Australia on Saturday 4 April 2020.
Clean up our Backyard Application Q&A:
Thursday 10 October from 11 am
Additional project documents: